Do you ever read the Bible and think ‘that sounds nice but um no, I can’t do that’? This “Love is Patient ” is one of those verses for me.
As a wife and mom I can say – with confidence – that family is the hardest place to live out Love is Patient. Right Ladies? It is hard to be patient with them. This kind of love is just so… every day! AHHH It is hard right?!?!?!
Honestly, I am so encouraged that there is an entire chapter dedicated to love in the Bible. It reassures me that I am not crazy to need and crave love! It also helps me feel better about how hard it is to love well. I mean, way back in the first churches people struggled the same way I struggle! Whoooo that makes me feel better 😉
Y’all, every word describing love here is a Verb!
Love is an Action – Not a Feeling!
Love is Patient
- Especially when he does things that cause me hardship.
- That is the hazard of living in each others personal space!
I tend to always point out his faults.
- Showing patience to my husband means I have to find ways to encourage him instead.
How can we shift from a critical reaction to a Patient loving response?
- I have learned to pray a lot before I speak.
A perspective shift is critical.
- My husband is human and prone to mistakes, just like me; I need to forgive him when he messes up.
Is Forgiveness an area you are struggling? I’d love to share the Pathway I found to truly forgive the Pain, Abuse and Betrayal that stole so many years of my life. I was stuck, unwilling to forgive. I had to learn to release people, so I could walk in freedom!
I will end each word study with a challenge to help us apply what we just learned:
How is your prayer life?
- Are you praying for your husbands struggles? Or are your prayers mostly frustration over his mistakes?
Are you looking at your husband the way God does?
- Seeing His flaws through a lens of love and compassion?
- Pick a specific thing that has happened in the past week that you could apply Patience to and try again.