Are you learning to Be Still and Abide in Christ? I am. This season has been a series of one intense thing after another and I am struggling. Well, I have been struggling. Through this 40-day devotional series, I have felt the Lord pick me up, put me back together and mend some of the broken places. Is that what you need today? Part of this series included a Simple Spiritual Fast and I got some questions from you. One was so specific I thought I’d answer it here. What is the benefit of a Fast when learning to Be Still?
A Quick Reference for Spiritual Fasting: What is the Benefit of A Fast to Be Still?
I have shared on fasting and prayer before and the links are below:
- 5 Reasons to Fast with Hope
- 5 Simple Ways Most People Ruin a Time of Fasting
- How to Fast and Pray in a Way that Pleases God (or how to properly fast for God)
- 3 Things to Expect in a Time of Fasting with God
- A Story from my First Fast (and what is fasting and prayer)
The Bible speaks so often on the benefits of a fast that it would be foolish for us to ignore this powerful spiritual discipline!
Okay, just to recap some of those things (in case you are short on time)
Why would a Modern-Day Christian Fast?
This is one of my favorite fasting scriptures for breakthrough
Isaiah 58:11 “And the Lord will continually guide you, And satisfy your desire in scorched places, And give strength to your bones; And you will be like a watered garden, And like a spring of water whose waters do not fail.
These are just a few reasons with scriptures on Fasting that helped me take the leap to begin fasting.A few reasons with scriptures on Fasting that helped me take the leap to begin fasting. (Jesus said to, Clarity, Answers, Spiritual Dryness, protection from Spiritual Warfare and breaking strongholds of sin. Click To Tweet
- Jesus said we would Fast. Matthew 9:14-15
- Fasting can bring Clarity and direction from God. Daniel 9:3 and then in Daniel 10:3
- When there are hard issues, Fasting brings specific answers from God and help. Nehemiah 1: 1-4.
- Fasting can cure Spiritual Dryness. Matthew 4:1-11; Matthew 5:6; Acts 14:23; Isaiah 58:11
- A fast is effective when you need protection from Spiritual warfare Matthew 17:21; Ezra 8:21-23; Ester 4:16.
- The power of fasting and prayer are a great tool to break the ties of habitual sin in your life. 1 Kings 21:25-27; Joel 2:12 ; Jonah 3:5-9; 2 Samuel 12:15-17
What is Fasting Biblically?
A Fast is simply making a choice to give up something you seek for satisfaction in order to seek God for satisfaction.
Fasting brings you near God like nothing else. When you deny yourself something for a time and draw near to God He really does draw near to you.
What do you give up in a Fast/ Types of Spiritual Fasting?
Only you will know what makes sense to fast from but these are a few suggestions.
- If you are in good health, Fasting from a meal is a very straight forward way to begin to Fast. during the time you would have prepared and eaten the meal you spend time with God in Bible reading, prayer, and solitude.
- If you are NOT in Good health, consider another form of fasting or talk with your doctor before you begin.
- TV, the internet, Social Media and the like are time-consuming. Most of us turn to Entertainment from media for satisfaction. For most of us, it would be very effective to give up one or all forms for part or all of a day.
- This was a new way to Fast that surprised me. Shopping brings satisfaction. Can you go a day or a week without shopping? This can be a great way to focus on God.
- Other Things
A word of caution when asking, “Is fasting healthy.”
Fasting is a Spiritual discipline that is hard to cultivate. I highly advise working up to bigger fasts by Fasting part of a day for a while. As you become accustomed to the effects of Fasting you can fast a day, a few days or more. Don’t worry about what to do when you are fasting. Plan on praying and let God lead you.
What are the Spiritual benefits of Fasting when learning to Be Still?
Is there something you have been praying over for a long time? Something urgent that you need God to answer now?Fasting slows you down long enough to hear God's voice. Click To Tweet
Fasting slows you down long enough to hear God’s voice. When you Fast in obedience to Jesus words you find:
- Direction from God.
- Help from unexpected places
- Release from habitual sin
- Redirection from God – that one always shocks me.
Fasting can cure Spiritual Dryness. It feels like wave after wave of God’s Grace raining down on you when it finally breaks.
What does Fasting Look like in Today’s Busy Life? Spiritual fasting testimonies
If you have been following along you know this has been a rough season for me. I believe in living life without a mask. When life is hard I talk about it. When life is good I talk about it. Nothing is hidden and God gets all the glory when things change. It is a motto to live by and certainly, one benefit of a fast is learning that heart-deep!
Why did I decide to Fast 40-Days?
- For more than two years my health has been deteriorating. The diagnosis is an Auto-Immune Disease called Hashimoto Thyroiditis
- An Identity Crisis
- The pain and fatigue have been more than I ever expected. With the sickness has come a need to rest and step out of so much of what was my life.
- Challenges in Marriage
- Being sick has opened up a whole new series of struggles with Marriage
- Difficult seasons of parenting
- Being a mom is never easy but this has been a rough season. Being sick and tired often and working through the beginning of tween years and a young child with special needs has pushed me past my limits.
I was empty, hurting and in need of clear direction in a lot of areas. As I prayed I was more confused by God’s answer to Be Still. So I began asking God to speak more clearly. Fasting and spiritual awakening go hand and hand and I went to God fully expecting Him to answer.
The spiritual benefits of fasting 40 days
God clearly confirmed His will for this season. Things I heard from God.
Continue resting. Let go of control. Choose Hope even when you can’t see the next step. Choose Joy even when pain makes it hard to get through the day. Keep your eyes fixed on God for your identity. That identity is not based on what you can do but in Who’s you are.
Trust God to fight the battles you are too weak to fight. Give Jesus your fears and rest in Him. Make every day a day to abide in Christ.
For 40-Days I’ve given God more time, giving Him my First and Best of each day.
As we near the end of the 40-days I feel His Grace flow like rain over the dryness that was in my spirit.
A Prayer to Know the Benefit of a Fast
I praise Your Name for speaking an answer to my deepest needs in this hard season of life. When life is hard You are faithful. Thank You.
Help this lesson to stay fresh in my mind. Continue to teach me how to abide in You.
More Posts Like This:
- 27 Fasting and Prayer Scriptures for Spiritual Breakthrough
- How to Fast and Pray in a Way that Pleases God
- 40 Days to Be Still and Know God More